Male Allyship Network
‘The Male Allyship Network was universally agreed as a superb concept to engage, embrace and enrich the talent of women no matter their background, diversity, disability, orientation or ethnicity. ‘Lifting up’ individuals through the process of allyship; encouraging individuals to follow their path, forge successful careers, to strive and obtain leadership (senior to board level) roles within travel is what this project is all about.” – Hugh King Director of Business Development, UK & Europe, Battleface
Women in Travel’s Male Allyship Network was launched at the International Women in Travel & Tourism Forum digital held in May 2021.
The new cross-industry Male Allyship Network in travel and tourism aims to foster mentoring and the sponsorship of women, particularly those from underrepresented groups.
It was backed by 30 industry leaders and its members are some of the highest profile male professionals in travel and tourism.
MISSION AND VISION
- The [IWTTF] Male Allyship Network is formed in recognition of the need to support the full contribution and advancement of all women and nonbinary individuals in the travel and tourism sector.
- Members are committed to support all women and non-binary individuals personally and through their businesses, by providing mentoring; sponsoring; recognition and visibility; access to network and professional opportunities.
- In Y1 the Network commits to impact the professional development and progression of up to 20 women, particularly from black and Asian backgrounds
WHO IS AN ALLY?
- Someone committed to gender inclusion and equity in the workplace.
- Someone who understands they have an important role to play in achieving that.
Male Allyship is critical in a sector where globally some 60% of the workforce is female but only a minority (30% at most) achieves senior to board level positions. Minority groups are substantially underrepresented in senior roles, even though globally they represent a growing, affluent customer segment. To change the status-quo we need the support of those currently in position of powers and that broadly means men!
- MALE ALLIES AND MENTORS ARE CRITICAL TO WOMEN’S PROGRESS IN THE WORKPLACE
- MALE ALLIES PROVIDE OPPORTUNITIES AND VISIBILITY TO WOMEN
- MALE ALLIES INCREASE CONFIDENCE AND SELF-BELIEF IN WOMEN
HOW WILL ALLIES BENEFIT?
Through the mentoring and overall connections fostered by the programme, allies will be able to gain
- Gender intelligence
- Allyship and mentorship skills
- DEI Role Model
- Visibility [internally and externally]
Want more information? Check this presentation